Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hula 'Oni E 2012

For those of you who don't know (since it's all I've been talking about lately) our hula halau (school) will be going to Hawai'i next September to compete in the Hula 'Oni E festival in Waikiki! I posted a video from last years competition at the end. Are we excited?! YES.


Here's our Tahitian class, a good chunk of us are in the competition team. We practice to live music from our lovely musicians in the front row. My Kumu (teacher) is all the way on the right.


So to get us all to Hawai'i we are fundraising like crazy. Our goal is to fund raise our entire trip for everyone so that no one has to spend any money out of pocket. This weekend is the Puerto Rican/Cuban festival. Our halau has one of only a few food stands at a festival (most of them are for drinks...drunk hungry people? Look out!) with over 20,000 people so we are preparing for absolute chaos. My job? Bake 600 lime-coconut cookies. I'm trying to get ahead and started on Sunday, freezing as many as I can until my nonstop bake-a-thon on Thursday night but I'm running out of freezer space! 480 done, only 120 to go!

This is certainly preparing me for my future bakery/catering business! Here's what making 600 cookies in a kitchen the size of my bathroom looks like. Trust me, the picture makes my kitchen look way bigger than it is.

The current situation in my freezer:


Anyways, hopefully outside of practicing like crazy the entire week that I'm there, I'll have some time to do a little of this:

I'll also be stopping in to Momma and I's favorite quick food stop Coconut Cafe for some...


passionfruit & pineapple Hawaiian shaved ice!


Hopefully I'll get to climb Diamond Head again!


and soak up as much sun as I possibly can! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

First place. We have a lot of work to do! These girls are amazing!

2 comments:

  1. Eat some poke for meeee. I love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut lime cookies? I'm unconvinced.

    ReplyDelete