Tuesday, June 7, 2011

24

I turned 24 on Sunday. It feels no different than 23 but boy did I have a fun birthday weekend.

I started off the weekend by picking these lovely flowers that are growing all over the place lately


On Saturday, I woke up to a birthday cake! Despite my urges to scarf it all down asap, I exhibited some self-control and saved it for after dinner. Then Thomas had to work but I was able to tag along. Our mission was to sign up street performers (or "buskers" as they call it up here) for a contest to find the best downtown busker. Winner gets to perform at an event in the park downtown and gets some $$$. Thomas had to video one song per busker to post on the radio website for online voting. They all thought I was part of the project so I snapped away without any worries. These three folks make up part of "Big Nasty." My vote goes to them hands down. This isn't our video, but check em out.






This is Drayton. He travels around and lives out of his guitar case.


This is Abby. She plays spoons like a maniac. It's pretty mind-blowing.


I really liked her tattoo. She also used that chapstick to grease up her fingers and knuckles for the spoon playing.


I can't remember his name but he was super nice. Who would have thought you find a didgeridoo player on the streets of Asheville!


One member of Nomadic Minstrels. He's playing the hammer dulcimer. Not that I knew what that was until I asked. I think he builds his own. Pretty interesting sound.


Caught my eye.

After the busker hunt, we grabbed some Thai food and headed to a serious game of roller derby. Roller derby half time shows are pretty amazing. Last game had elementary school break dancers. This game had a fire show complete with crazy LED light dinosaurs, flaming toy cars, fire whips that make humongous fireballs when cracked, and flaming jump ropes and hula hoops. I definitely regret not bringing my camera. After the game, it was finally time for some cake!


Thomas got me the bestest cake of all! A GARDEN cake which he was apparently jipped on the decorations but it was super cute! Oh, and it was strawberry cake. Amazing.

Poof enjoyed a slice as well.

After the early festivities, the rest of the weekend consisted of me laying in the backyard trying to even out the WORST farmers tan EVER and Tom "practicing" his croquet skills. If you've ever played croquet with this guy, you know he DOES NOT need any practice. He's also a pro at rubbing his mad skills in your face!


It's love.

Dreaming...






No comments:

Post a Comment