Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Apples, Apples.

So last weekend I decided to go back to the orchard I had visited on a field trip while assisting the Kindergarten class. We had picked Blushing Gold apples and I fell in love. Growing up in Florida left me thinking all apples tasted like absolute nothing. Now that I live in apple country, I find myself getting stomach aches over eating too many!

The orchard has over 23,000 apple tress with about 25 different varieties of apples. They also grow corn, soybeans, pumpkins, watermelons, sunflowers, cabbage, sweet potatoes, and probably a ton more other things. Apparently the owner who is 91 years old, still comes down to the barn (where they sell most of their produce) every morning to work.


All of the awesome apples with the "blush spot" were at the very top but I was too afraid to use the rickety ladder.


Some side of the road photos from the drive home



And a pretty sweet and extremely old looking graveyard

At the end of my picking, I got about 25-30 apples for only $5! And not to mention the 4 pounds of sweet potatoes for an extra $2! Buying straight from the farm is always the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment